I saw a video on social media recently and thought, “Wow, that's actually pretty cool.”
Then I checked the comments.
“AI.”
“Fake.”
“Look at the hands.”
“Bro this isn't real 💀”
And suddenly I wasn't watching the video anymore. I was investigating it. 😂
Welcome to the internet in 2026.
A few years ago, when we saw an amazing photo, our first reaction was usually wow. Now it's becoming:
“Is this AI?”
And that's a pretty big change.
AI-generated photos are already ridiculously good. Videos are getting better. Voices can be cloned. Music can be generated. People who don't exist can have Instagram accounts. Fake screenshots look real. Even comments under a post might be written by bots talking to other bots.
Sometimes you genuinely have no idea anymore.
And the funny thing is, even real content is starting to look fake.
Someone takes an incredible photo?
“AI.”
A weird moment gets captured on video?
“Definitely generated.”
Someone writes something really well?
“ChatGPT.”
😂
We're entering this strange period where the internet has so much artificial content that real people have to prove they're real.
Remember when CAPTCHA asked us to click all the traffic lights to prove we weren't robots?
Maybe soon the robots will be better at CAPTCHA than us.
Fake People With Real Followers
This gets even weirder with social media.
AI influencers are already a thing. They post photos, build audiences and promote products just like normal influencers.
Except the person you're following may literally not exist.
Then imagine AI accounts commenting on AI-generated posts created by AI influencers while real humans scroll through everything trying to figure out what's happening.
That sounds like a joke.
Unfortunately, we're getting surprisingly close to it.
Maybe This Changes How We Use the Internet
I don't think people will stop using social media.
But I think we'll become more suspicious of what we see there.
Maybe we'll trust smaller communities more. Private groups. WhatsApp chats. People we actually know. Creators we've followed for years.
Because when generating something becomes almost free, being real becomes valuable.
And perhaps that's the funniest part of where technology is heading.
We spent years trying to make AI behave more like humans.
Now humans might have to spend the next few years convincing the internet that we're not AI. 😂